Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My Dad

From Anne:
When Brian lived with us in household dad loved him and understood him better than anyone. A big part of Brian at that time was his Irishness. So one morning when dad was visiting our family went to mass. When we came home Brian was frying up bacon. He had started breakfast for us which was a very loving thing to think of. The house was filled with smoke and I jumped all over Brian about burning the bacon. I completely missed the kind act. Dad mentioned to me later how Brian was trying to do something nice for us and I needed to be easier on him. That was very unusual for dad to correct me in any way. I was really struck at the time how dad really knew and loved Brian the way he was. I was all about "fixing" Brian, and dad was all about love!

Last July I was out visiting and it was Saturday night so in the Bowler/McCabe tradition we went to the Parkside with the McCabes for dinner. Dad ordered his favorite turkey dinner which first they thought they were out of but they found they had one left. After dinner Mike suggested that we go to the Cultural Center because the Coeltis (sp) dancing group was out there. Everyone wanted to go so we headed out there. We found a table where we saw the dancing real well. When they invited anyone to come join them I asked Mike and Oliver but they declined. So I asked dad and he jumped right up! We had a great time dancing the Seige of Ennis. As usual I think I got more winded than dad. It is so special to think of that memory and our dance together!

No comments: