Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ironman

From Pat:
A couple of years ago when Dad was into his bike we were down in the basement changing a tire tube. We got the new tube in and we were attempting to put the tire back on the rim; my attempts failed miserably. As I was searching for a tool Dad started in to put the tire back on; I told Dad he shouldn't bother since it was an extremely difficult procedure without the tool. Of course Dad considered this a "nice" little challenge, and proceeded to install the tire inch by inch as I stood by in amazement. Dad finished up the tire as my jaw dropped with a thud on the basement floor; he never boasted or called me a weakling or anything negative. I just had witnessed a 83 or 84 year old do an amazing thing, which I'm sure only Jack LaLane could only replicate. Dad was an IRONMAN, yet he was totally unassuming; this, in my mind, summarizes Dad's character. A giant of a man stored inside a 5 foot 8 inch frame; he was my idol.

No comments: