Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hard worker and a Gentleman

From Mike:
I was really missing Dad today. A tenant from 46th called at 6:30 this morning to say there was a flood of water in the garage. Usually Dad would go out with me and help me fix whatever problems the rentals had. The Saturday before he injured his finger we went out to 41st Ave. The tenant's kitchen sink was clogged and the toilet was also backing up. Dad plunged out the toilet and we worked on freeing the sink. We ran the snake down the sink but it didn't help so we had to remove a clean out plug outside. The plug wouldn't budge so I cut it open with the chisel. The plug's threads were still stuck. I went to the bathroom and when I came back Dad had chiseled and cut out the rest of the plug. He was amazing. We then got the pipes cleaned out by running the snake and a water hose down the pipe.

The St. Gabriel's St. Patrick's dinner dance was this past weekend. For the last few years Dad had been going out there. Last year a woman from St. Monica parish, Faye Willig, needed a ride to St. Gabe's, as her usual ride wasn't going. Dad drove by himself to her house at 46th near Anza and gave her a ride to the dinner dance. After we played last year, we drove home together and dropped her off. I remember Dad getting out of the car and walking her to the door of her house. Faye has been on the sick list in our parish bulletin so I don't think she'll be going this year either. Dad was such a gentleman.

I was coming home from work during the last year when at 21st and Geary I saw Dad carrying a bag and walking with an older Chinese woman. I asked him about it at dinner otherwise he probably wouldn't have told me. He said he was walking over to do some work at Clement St. when he saw this woman who was dealing with 2 bags of groceries. It was too much for her to carry at once so she would carry the one bag foward a distance then leave it down on the sidewalk and then go back and get the other bag. Dad offered to help and ended up carrying one of the bags for her (or maybe both I forget). I'm sure it must have taken all of a half hour because she was walking extremely slow and lived up at 21st and Anza.

I was also looking around the house for anything that Dad had written. Dad always took his time when he was writing - he had a very deliberate way of writing even his own signature.

2 comments:

Liz said...

A Hard worker and a Gentleman...that is for sure! These two words also remind me of both my uncles! I love you Grandpa!

Brewerblog said...

Thanks Bill for reminding me about this post. Dad sure knew how to "slow down to the speed of life"!